The abode of clouds, Meghalaya is one of the eight northeastern states of India. This beautiful state is famous for its subtropical forests, biodiversity, rich culture, mysterious caves, and the highest rainfall. Meghalaya lies in the lap of the Himalayan region on the eastern side of India abutted by Assam in the north and Bangladesh in the south. Meghalaya is often referred to as the Scotland of the East in India for its natural beauty. Tourists visit this state throughout the year from different parts of the world for its famous tourist destination, adventure activities and to witness Asia’s cleanest village.
The capital of this gorgeous state is of course; “gorgeous”. Shillong is located in the east-central part of the state and attracts visitors with beautiful golf course, museums, zoo, and breathtakingly beautiful places attract visitors to Shillong year.
Best time to visit: March to June
How to reach:
By Air: Shillong doesn't have an airport within the city.
The nearest airport to the hill station is the Umroi Airport near Barapani,
which is about 25 kilometres away.
By Train: The closest railway station from Shillong is in
Road/Self Drive: You can take a bus from Guwahati to
TOP 9 PLACES TO VISIT IN MEGHALAYA
(1) Elephant Falls in the capital of Meghalaya was named after an elephant-shaped rock at the foot of the waterfall. This is one of the popular places to visit in Meghalaya. It is a 3-tiered waterfall. During an earthquake, a part of the elephant looking rock was washed away, but the falls still remain as one of the most visited places in Shillong, Meghalaya.
Blog post: Elephant Falls: Why it is named so
(2) Mawlynnong is a small village in Meghalaya around 90 km away from Shillong and is famously known as God’s own Garden. It was declared the cleanest village in Asia in 2003, hence, making this village in Meghalaya worth visiting. Today it is a popular tourist destination, and all the visitors are stunned by the beauty and cleanliness of this place. Consider Mawlynnong as one of the must-visit places in Meghalaya too.
Blog post: Meet the giant of Mawlynnong: Kyllang Rock
(3) Mawsynram is another place in Meghalaya that is famous worldwide. It is the world’s wettest place on earth and a nature lover’s delight. The mesmerising Mawsynram village is one of the perfect places to spend your holidays while enjoying the rains in Meghalaya.
Activity in Shillong
(4) Umiam Lake located in north Shillong offers some of the best panoramic sights to visitors especially nature lovers. Encircled by the lush green hills, the sunrise at the lake is a feast for the eyes. This lake also has an adjoining park, a popular hotspot for picnics in Meghalaya, surrounded by thick coniferous forests.
Blog post: Spend a quiet day at Umiam Lake Shillong
(5) Cherrapunjee is the former wettest place on earth before Mawsynram but still holds the record for the highest recorded rainfall in Meghalaya in a calendar year. The misty valleys, unique climate, thick green forests, and enchanting waterfalls make Cherrapunjee one of the must-visit places in Meghalaya. Some of the famous places of attractions in Cherrapunjee are Double Decker Living Root Bridge, Dwaki, Nohkalikai Waterfalls, and Mawsami Cave.
Blog post: Talk about dramatic! Seven Sisters Waterfalls, Cherrapunjee
(6) Double Decker Living Root Bridge of Cherrapunjee in Meghalaya is hidden deep in the lush green thick forests and attracts tourists from everywhere. This unique attraction is basically living rubber tree root bridges layered one upon another made by the Khasi tribal groups of Meghalaya and is said to be 200 years old. This strong bridge can hold up to 50 people at a time. Not only do these bridges make this place popular but the surroundings are also a treat to nature lovers.
Double Decker Living Root Bridge
(7) Dawki is a river in Meghalaya sandwiched between India and Bangladesh. It is a major trade center between these two countries and famous for its tourism scene. You will be able to see people flocking to the town to experience the famous boat rides in the Umngot River. While you are in Meghalaya, you must visit this place to enjoy the sights and sounds nearby and also to ride the boat and have an amazing experience. Dawki is also one of the most visited places in Cherrapunjee.