Morgan House is a mansion of British colonial architecture built by an English jute baron Mr George Morgan in the 1930’s. The building was to commemorate the wedding of the owner with a jute baron Mr George Morgan. The property was used as a summer retreat and elaborate parties were hosted.
Morgan House is built on a sixteen acre estate atop the mountain of Durpin dara. Hence, earlier this property was also known as Singamari Tourist Lodge or Durpin Tourist Lodge. It is located 3 kms off the center of Kalimpong town and has a mesmerizing view of the Khangchendzonga mountain range on a clear day. The estate and the mansion are surrounded by the Kalimpong Cantonment area and overlook the valleys of Relli, Kapher, Deolo and Labha in various directions.
It passed into the hand of trustees after Mr and Mrs Morgan died without heir. It was further handed over to government of India post Indian independence. During 1962, after then Prime Minister Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru was taken ill, plans were made to convert this house into a government rest house. Today, the mansion is a hotel managed by West Bengal Tourism Development Corporation (WBTDC).
People can book the stay here along with the nearby cottages. The facilities and comfort are great here.. The dining area is very nice and foods are very tasty in reasonable price. Staffs are exceptionally well behaved and helpful and hospitality is amazing. The campus has Morgan house with 5 rooms, Annex ( known as Tashiding) with 6 rooms and 7 double bedded cottages.
This lodge is also considered to be haunted and has been featured in several lists of haunted lodges and hotels. Durpin Monastery and hill is walking distance from here. There is and army cafe just opposite which is good, reasonable and good quality.