You are excited! Your blog has been created and you have started to post. The only problem is, no one is reading it. How can you find an audience to actually read what you have written? Consider using the tips below to help increase your readership.
1. Be sure to use good quality content. What is written in your blog should be interesting enough to keep people's attention and should be timely. It is important to update your blog regularly. You can also use keywords in your content to help you blog to be picked up by search engines.
2. Become a part of communities that are relevant to blogging. Talk to other bloggers about what has worked for them, and do not be afraid to take their advice.
3. Take the time to publish an RSS/Atom/XML feed. You can do this very easily on a blog hosting site such as Blogger.
4. Take care in choosing the titles of your subjects and articles. Think about what potential readers will be searching for, and incorporate keywords into your titles. You can also subscribe to a search reporter such as Word Tracker. These groups publish the most popular searches each week and can help you decide what topics you would like to include in your blog.
5. Participate in other people's blogs. Comment on them and offer feedback. Most comment features offer you the opportunity to post a link back to your blog, and you may interest that blog's owner or a reader of that blog who may be interested in what you have to say.
6. Set up your email and forum signatures to include the address of your blog. This is easy advertising that you take the time to set up once. You never know when a potential reader may click on your link and become fascinated with what you have to say!
7. Research the internet and find blog directories. List your blog there to attract potential readers.
8. Write articles and submit them to online article directories. These can be easily found in a basic web search. Most directories allow you to place an author's byline at the end of the article. You can include a link to your blog in that byline.
9. Use an update service or ping service to let readers know your blog has been updated. This can serve as a gentle reminder readers that you are out there with something to say!
10. Create a blogroll or link list of blogs that you enjoy reading. As with commenting on other's blogs, this can introduce your blog to other bloggers as well. This opens the door for your blog being linked by another blogger and their readership being introduced to you as well. However, do not create a huge blogroll just for the sake of trying to get links on others' pages. This can be annoying for your readers.
The most important thing to remember is that a solid readership does not evolve overnight. It takes time to get to know people and their interests before your blog can become successful. Spend time reading other blogs, making comments, and getting to know those writers. Have fun with it, and allow your blog to grow naturally on its own.
Blogs can be wonderful marketing tools, and they can also be wonderful for social networking and creating friendships. With a little effort and some time, you can develop a readership full of loyal, interested friends.