There are certain backpacking essentials that you will need to carry on any trip, be it short or long. Read on to find out about these important must have items.
There are certain backpacking essentials you should always take if you are going to take a journey of any length of time. Though there are many new state-of-the-art devices out there you can use, there are several standard things that you should keep with you. For instance, if you carry a battery operated GPS and the batteries go dead, you might be in a crisis without a map. This thought takes me into the backpacking essentials which you should take on your trip:
* Map-You will need to select a map that is more suited for backpacking or hiking. It needs to have thorough information about the routes and the region of your trip.
* Compass-While having a map is important, the compass is an necessary companion to the map. These two backpacking essentials go with each other. Trails can start to look similar out in the wilderness, so it is imperative you know where your going. You should select a compass that is long lasting and will stand up to elements such as weather.
* Flashlight-Having good lighting ensures that you see what lies ahead. Having adequate lighting can protect against falls or injuries; things which could put a end on a trip.
* Spare food and clothing-There are many conditions that can happen when you are out on the path, so make sure to bring additional food and clothing. You should always take precautions for the unexpected. It's better to be safe than sorry when packing your backpacking essentials.
* Knife-A knife is something that you will discover many uses for while you are in the wilderness. If you are able to afford it, a knife such as Swiss Army knife is a fantastic asset since you can perform a lot of tasks with it. At minimum, you will need a sharp knife that you can use to cut material and other things.
* Matches-The matches you carry really should be water resistant. As with all other things, matches are must have backpacking essentials. If you do not get waterproof matches, be sure you keep them in something that is waterproof.
* Water or water treatment-You must be healthy and at your best while you are on the trail, and being hydrated is one of the most effective ways. If you are not going to keep water with you, then you should carry essential items, such as iodine tablets, to treat the drinking water.
* First Aid Kit-I believe this to be one of the most essential backpacking essentials. You never know what you may come across in the wilderness. Having a first aid kit is vital even for well traveled places or parts you are familiar with. You should make sure that the kit is supplied with a selection of items and be able to make use of all of the materials properly.