A little forethought and organization will payoff in a great memorable adventure for that next outdoors excursion you may have planned.
* Depending upon your adventure [ hiking/canoeing/car camping ] don't take along every thing including the kitchen sink, that's why you go camping in the first place; to get away from it all !…….but always allow for the worst thing that could happen because sometimes it will; freezing cold, sick kids,pouring rain,insect pests,strong winds can all spoil a great time if you are not prepared for the worst and always take along the sunscreen/hat and mozzie repellent.
* If you need to travel light you may be better off carrying food types that don't need to be cooked; the midday meal should be quick and easy for everybody especially with canoeing activities etc and keep the cooking for around the campfire or portable stove at night; try to minimize the eco impact and keep to the established cooking areas.[ be aware of fire bans ]
* Make sure you have all the requisites for a good nights sleep like a mosquito net,mosquito coils and a quick fill air mattress or pad, nothing worse than a bad nights sleep.
* Be eco friendly and take your rubbish away with you unless there are rubbish facilities available and when going to the toilet if you need to dig a hole, make it nice and deep and away from the beaten track;think of your fellow campers.
* Always be considerate of fellow campers,don't smoke out your neighbours with your camp fire or camp too close and keep the noise down to a minimum as we all enjoy a quiet nights sleep and a little privacy , if you must use a generator for electricity be mindful of the eco impact of both noise and spillage of fuels and oils.
* At packup time your camp site should look as if you were never there;make sure your gear is packed correctly , nice and dry, otherwise you will need to dry it out when you get home , because any damp material gear will get smelly and mouldy and possibly rot away .
* Obviously these notes are only a very broad outline….but you have to start somewhere……..
About the author
Donald Vanderlugt has many years experience trekking about as a keen bushman and a scouter and is the webmaster of www.campingandgear.com where you will find a comprehensive selection of camping gear.
Author: Donald Vanderlugt