Some of the most famous local dishes in Gangtok are momo, thukpa, gyathuk, and sha phaley (a Sikkim style kind of meat patty). Besides these, there are many more than are worth trying if you ever visit Sikkim.
Here’s a look at 5 dishes that are unique as well as delicious.
(1) Gundruk: A fermented leafy green vegetable. It is a popular food in Nepal.
(2) Churpi: It is one of the most popular local dishs in Sikkim. It is somewhat like Italian ricotta. It can easily be prepared at home from boiled butter milk.
(3) Thukpa: This Himalayan noodle soup is usually served with meat and is really delicious with lean chicken.
(4) Sha phaley: A Tibetan food which means meat bread. Like momo, meat is finely minced and mixed with different spices and wrapped inside bread.
(5) Tingmo or ting momo: Steamed bread in Tibetan cuisine, it does not contain any kind of filling. The distinguishing feature of this steamed dumpling is its layered appearance.
Tingmo or ting momo