Assam is a great destination for leisure, cultural, and adventure trips because of its proximity to the Brahmaputra river and its status as a biodiversity hotspot. Tourists flock to explore its wildlife sanctuaries, take river cruises, and enjoy the cultural diversity. A large number of temples in Assam also makes it a perfect destination for pilgrimage tours.
Each city is unique in its offerings to every kind of traveller, such as Sivasagar, which attracts history buffs; Majuli, which gives a glimpse of Assam’s arts and crafts; and Bhalukpong, which offers the perfect laidback destination for leisure travellers. Let’s not forget Assam’s hill stations that give respite from city life and the beautiful city of Shillong that is less than 3 hours away!
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Assam is between November and March, which excludes the scorching summer and monsoon months.
How to Get There
Assam is well connected by air, rail, and roadways. The Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport is situated at Borjar, 20 km away from Guwahati. The Guwahati Railway Station is 5 km from Guwahati. There are also regular ASTC and private buses that connect to major cities outside Assam.
10 Places Worth Visiting in Assam
1. Hajo (Assam): A tourist destination for the religious tourist/history buff
Situated on the north bank of the Brahmaputra, 32 km from Guwahati, Hajo is the meeting point of the Muslim, Buddhist, and Hindu faiths. Make sure to visit the Hayagrib Madhab Temple and Poa Mecca, the fourth in line of sanctity to the shrine at Mecca. Hajo's bell-metal work is renowned and you can buy some interesting artefacts made by the local craftsmen at a number of places around the main town of Hajo.
The best time to visit Hajo: The best time to visit Hajo: September - February.
How to reach: Gopinath Bodoloi Airport in Guwahati is the nearest Airport to Hajo. The railway station located in Paltan Bazaar, Guwahati is the nearest railway station to Hajo.
2. Tezpur (Assam): One of the perfect tourist places/destinations for the leisure-driven tourist
Popularly known as the city of eternal romance, Tezpur is 180 km away from Guwahati. Enjoy delightful views of the Brahmaputra River at dawn and watch the interesting flurry of activity as the day begins for the boats and vessels lined up near the banks. If you have time, drive down to the eco-camp near the Jia-Bhoreli River, 50 km away..
The best time to visit Tezpur: October - April.
How to reach: Tezpur has its own Domestic Airport named as Salonibari Airpor. Tezpur Railway Station located in Tezpur itself is the nearest railway station to Tezpur.
Read: places to visit in Tezpur, Assam
3. Bhalukpong (Assam): Pretty tourist spot for the leisure tourist
Bhalukpong is one of the most-visited places situated on the Assam-Arunachal border, 250 km from Guwahati. It is a picturesque spot for leisurely picnics. You can also do angling here.
The best time to visit: October - March.
How to reach: Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in Borjhar is the nearest airport to Bhalukpong. The nearest railway station to Bhalukpong is the Rangapara railway station.
4. Sivasagar (Assam): For the tourist who loves historic places
Gargaon Palace, Sivasagar
About 363 km from Guwahati, Sivasagar holds great interest for historians. It is situated close to the site of Charaideo, the ancient capital of the Ahom kings (1229 AD) who ruled Assam for six centuries. Strung around it are 3 temples, the most important of which is the Shivadol (quite possibly the tallest Shiv temple in the country), which is the focal point of the Shivratri Puja. Vishnudol and Devidol are the other two temples. Other notable tanks built by the Ahoms are Joysagar, Gaurisagar, and Rudrasagar.
The best time to visit: October - November.
How to reach: Jorhat Airport is the nearest airport to Sivasagar. Sivasagar has a railway station called Sibsagar Town Railway Station
Read: places to visit in Sibasagar, Assam
5. Haflong (Assam): Interesting place for the inquisitive tourist
Assam’s only hill station, Haflong, is 325 km from Guwahati. Like all places in Assam, this too is a picturesque place with unspoiled environs, which are perfect for extended stays. If you’re looking for other interesting places nearby, then Jatinga is reputed for the bizarre phenomenon of the annual mass suicide by birds. No answers have been found to this mystery.
The best time to visit Haflong: October - February
How to reach: The nearest airport to Haflong is located in Silchar. Haflong has its own railway station which is well connected to major parts of Assam.
Read: places to visit in Haflong, Assam
6. Majuli Island (Assam): An ideal destination for a culture-seeking tourist
Doriya River, Majuli
Majuli is the focal point of Vaishnava culture and is renowned for its important satras (Vaishnava monasteries). Majuli is also home to the Mishing tribe who migrated from Arunachal. They are Assam’s only riverine tribal community, and they make some astoundingly beautiful shawls and blankets, which are also used as wall hangings. You can find these handicrafts in different shopping places on Majuli Island, which you can take back as souvenirs.
Best time to visit: October to February
How to reach: The nearest airport to Haflong is located in Jorhat. Jorhat railway station is the nearest railhead to Majuli.
Read: places to visit in Majuli, Assam
7. Jorhat (Assam): Perfect tourist destination for the nature-loving and culture-bound tourist
The sightseeing places at Jorhat offer tourists natural beauty and culture. It has many important historic sites. To its credit, Jorhat Gymkhana Club is the first to be ever built in Asia and is also the third oldest in the entire world.
Read: places to visit in Jorhat, Assam
Hill Stations in Assam
8. Bogamati: Bogamati, located in Baska district, is another favourite picnic destination of Assam. The place is located near the Indo-Bhutan border. Baska district is also home to Manas National Park, one of the most popular tourist attractions in entire Assam.
Adventure activities in Bogamati
9. Diphu: Located at a distance of about 250 km from Guwahati, Diphu is a picturesque hamlet ideal for picnic outings. Diphu has a lot of popular activities in its vicinity such as trekking, horse riding, and bird watching. You can also visit religious sites such as the Iskon Temple, Shiva Mandir and Deopani Durga Mandir..
Nearby places to visit.
10. Shillong: Shillong aka 'Scotland of the East' is one of the few states in India that still remains untouched by the harshness of the modern-day preservatives. Shillong also has some magnificent sightseeing spots and provides a good insight into how Meghalaya is slowly embracing modernisation. All of these make Shillong a must-visit in your trip to Meghalaya.
Read Guwahati to Shillong
Top memorable tourist experiences in Assam
Assam is a tourist's paradise. The places in Assam offer a unique experience in terms of adventure, leisure, culture, and history.